history glenmore wines

The Armstrong and House families have been in the Margaret River region long before vines were planted. Farming was the predominant enterprise but this has significantly diminished over time and has been largely replaced by vineyards and other tourism based enterprises.

The Glenmore property has been in the family since the turn of the century. Ian is proud to be a 5th generation Glenmore farmer. It was his great great grandfather Charles ('CP') House who initially purchased the property. He gave the property with existing mortgage to his son Aubrey House on his marriage to Amy (nee Armstrong).

Aubrey and Amy moved to Glenmore in 1915 with 11 chickens and 25 shillings. They cleared land and farmed cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens and turkeys at Christmas. From this they ran a butchering business. Aubrey was able to combine this with his mail run to the residents and businesses in Yallingup Siding. In addition, they ran a dairy and developed a nine hole golf course and devonshire teas for guests staying at Yallingup's historic guest house Caves House.

Aubrey and Amy had four children, Edward (Ted), Florence (Flo), Isabella (little Amy) and James (Jim). Unfortunately, Aubrey died at the relatively young age of 39 due to tonsillitis. Amy had to leave school at 14 to help her mother on the farm. She stayed at Glenmore until her marriage to William (Bill) Beers in 1937.

Bill was a WW1 veteran and was allocated a Soldiers Settlement property of approximately 160 acres in Willyabrup. Bernegum as it was named became a dairy farm. Bill and Amy also farmed free range pigs and baby beef. In 1938 their daughter Audrey was born. With the advent of World War 2 the family moved to Melbourne in 1940. Having been injured in WW1 Bill still wanted to make a contribution to the war effort and this required a move to Melbourne where he worked in a munitions factory. Amy found work as a cook, housekeeper and farmer on a holiday property on the outskirts of Melbourne.

Amy, Bill and Audrey moved back to Bernegum in 1947. Not long after they returned, Bernegum was sold and the proceeds were put towards the purchase of Glenmore from Amy's mother who wished to retire and move to Busselton. Amy and Bill continued the farming tradition, running a dairy and farming free range cattle and pigs. Amy and Bill's grandson Ian Bell is now the owner of Glenmore and founded the Glenmore vineyard and winery with the encouragement and support of his late grandmother Amy beers.

The Glenmore Isabella wine is dedicated to her memory. The Glenmore wine label incorporates the Armstrong family crest and motto

'We remain unvanquished'.